History of The Old School in pictures
A former village school with a lot of history
The substantive part of the Westhampnett village school was built in 1839, paid for through the patronage of the fifth Duke of RIchmond. Its foundation was connected with a concern for social improvement at the time. The school provided for the basic educational requirements of local working families who were mainly in the employ of the Goodwood Estate, and orphans from the nearby Westhampnett Workhouse.
Both before and after the closure of the school in 1967 the building has seen notable pupils and visitors. Two of our guest rooms are named after people from The Old School B&B’s history.
Check-out our photo album and then check-in to The Old School B&B.